Thirteen Things You Should Know About Freeway Driving
I am constantly annoyed by freeway drivers NOT paying attention to what’s going on. If everyone just followed these rules then there wouldn’t be so much congestion.
- If you decide to pass someone in the fast lane, make sure you go the speed of the flow of traffic in the fast lane, and remember to get your butt back in the slow lane ASAP.
- If you see someone speed up behind you in the fast lane then move into the slow lane so that they can pass.
- When exiting the freeway do not slow down until you’re completely in the off ramp. The ramp is for slowing, the freeway is for not slowing.
- When accelerating to enter the freeway make sure to get up to freeway speed before entering. There’s nothing worse than a slow merger.
- If there’s a car stopped safely on the side of the road don’t slow down.
- Don’t go the same speed as the person beside you when in the fast lane, there’s nothing worse than being behind you when you do that.
- The fast lane is really for people wanting to go faster than the speed limit, so stay out of it if you go the speed limit (and please, go the speed limit, especially if kids are in your car).
- If you’re in a gutless vehicle, like a semi truck, don’t try and pass someone when you’re going uphill.
- In stop and go traffic, stay on the ball and stop and go with the person in front of you, keeps things going smoothly.
- Be courteous to people trying to get on the freeway and move into the other lane if you can. Don’t cut off the traffic in that lane though.
- If someone cuts you off, don’t try and pay them back by cutting them off. Chances are they didn’t realize they did it and you end up looking like an ass. Just use your horn…ooo the horn is fun fun fun.
- This doesn’t have to do with the freeway but if you’re driving on a single lane highway and there’s a long line of people behind you then pull off to the side of the road to let them go by. You’re obviously not in a rush anyway.
- Keep a safe distance behind people. If someone is too close behind me I put on my hazard lights or I give them the double brake tap tap. If they still don’t get it then I do something kinda mean….but get the heck off my bumper!!! I just hit my brakes quickly then speed up…scares the bejeebers out of them. Last time I did that I got the middle finger…ha ha. Oops.
Sorry, that might have been really boring.